Anthony Z. Scher Esq.
Mr. Scher served for four years as the Director of Prosecutions for the New York State Office of Professional Discipline. Prior to that, he served as an Assistant Chief of Litigation for the New York City Law Department. Since 1985, Mr. Scher has represented physicians and other licensed professionals in misconduct/disciplinary investigations, proceedings and appeals. He has provided physicians with successful representation in the highest profile misconduct cases brought by the government (OPMC) during the last 20 years.
Mr. Scher has been on the Faculty of several New York State Bar Association programs in the field of representing physicians in professional misconduct/disciplinary investigations and proceedings brought by OPMC and OPD. He has also lectured widely on behalf of hospitals and professional liability insurance companies seeking to assist their physicians in avoiding misconduct problems. Mr. Scher is consulted regularly by lawyers all over the State of New York for his advice, guidance and counsel with respect to matters before OPMC and OPD.
After successfully defending a prominent neurosurgeon against the allegation that he operated on the wrong side of a patient’s brain, The New York Times referred to Mr. Scher as the most experienced misconduct attorney in New York. Mr. Scher is a 1972 graduate of Bucknell University and a 1975 graduate of Hofstra University School of Law.
Mr. Scher is a partner in the law firm of WOOD & SCHER. His practice includes the following areas: New York Office of Professional Medical Conduct ("OPMC") Investigations, OPMC Hearings, OPMC defense, Professional Misconduct Investigations, Professional Misconduct Proceedings, Professional Misconduct Appeals, Medical License Defense, All OPMC proceedings, Professional Licensing, Medical Staff Privileges, Medicare/Medicaid Exclusions, Professional License Defense, Health Law, Drug and Alcohol Related Proceedings, Medicare and Medicaid Fraud, Inadequate Maintenance and Documentation of Medical Records, Hospital Privileges, Sexual Boundary Violations, Network and Insurance Terminations, Administrative Law, License Applications, License Restorations, Office of Professional Discipline (OPD) Investigations, OPD Hearings, All OPD Proceedings, Suspension and Termination of Hospital Privileges, Hospital Law, Health Care Fraud, Hospital Privileges, Health Care Litigation, Dentist Licensing and Dental License Defense, Veterinarian Licensing and Veterinary License Defense, Pharmacy Licensing and Pharmacy License Defense, Substance Abuse.
Areas of Practice
- Administrative Law
- Health Law
- Professional Misconduct Proceedings
- Professional Misconduct Investigations
- Hospital Related Disciplinary Proceedings
- Professional Misconduct Appeals to Court
- New York, 1976
- U.S. District Court Eastern District of New York, 1978
- U.S. District Court Southern District of New York, 1978
- U.S. Court of Appeals 3rd Circuit, 1979
- Hofstra University School of Law, Hempstead, New York
- Honors: Member, Hofstra Law Fellows
- Bucknell University, Lewisburg, Pennsylvania
- Representing Physicians …in Disciplinary Proceeding, NYS Bar Association
- Representing Physicians…in the Discipline Process, NYS Bar Association
Past Employment Positions
- New York State Office of Professional Discipline, Director, Prosecutions, 1981 - 1985
- New York City Law Department, Assistant Chief, Litigation, 1976 - 1981